As counterintuitive as it seems, small businesses are a major target for cyber criminals. Why? Because they often have weak cybersecurity protocols in place, making them an easy target.
If you’re a small business owner, it’s important to understand why cybersecurity is so important and what you can do to keep your business secure.
In this blog post, we’ll go over the basics of cybersecurity and how to keep your business safe online. We encourage you to reach out to a professional IT provider for more information on keeping your business safe from cyber crime.
Why Do Small Businesses Need Cybersecurity?
As a small business owner, you might be wondering why you need to worry about cybersecurity. After all, you may not be handling sensitive data or even storing credit card information. However, all businesses are at risk for cyber attacks, and small businesses are often targeted because they lack the resources to properly defend themselves.
In January of 2022, Bulldog released a report showing that 43% of small businesses lack any type of cybersecurity defense plans.
There are many reasons why small businesses need cybersecurity, but here are a few of the most important ones:
- To protect your data: Even if you’re not handling sensitive data, your business likely has important information that needs to be protected. This can include customer lists, financial records, and employee information.
- To defend against cyber crime: Cyber criminals are always looking for new targets, and small businesses are often an easy target. By having strong cybersecurity protocols in place, you can make it more difficult for criminals to target your business.
- To avoid costly downtime: If your business is hit by a cyber attack, it can result in costly downtime. This can cost you customers and revenue, and it can be difficult to recover from.
- To comply with regulations: Depending on your industry, you might be required to comply with certain cybersecurity regulations. This is especially true for businesses that handle sensitive data, such as organizations in the healthcare, financial, or government sectors.
In Verizon’s 2021 Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR), it was found that only 47% of small businesses find breaches within days; most take weeks or longer to discover a breach once it’s occurred, leaving cyber criminals ample time to infiltrate systems and steal private information.
Working with a quality MSP and having a good cybersecurity defense plan can help you take proactive cybersecurity measures and find and fix any breaches quickly before they cause too much damage.
Tips for Keeping Your Small Business Secure
Now that you know why small businesses need cybersecurity, here are a few tips to help you keep your business safe:
- Invest in a quality MSP: A managed service provider (MSP) can help you with all aspects of your cybersecurity, from choosing the right security solutions to implementing them properly.
- Educate your employees: Your employees are one of your biggest assets when it comes to cybersecurity. They need to be aware of the risks and know how to spot red flags.
- Use strong passwords: Using strong password management practices is one of the most basic but important cybersecurity measures you can take. Be sure to use a mix of letters, numbers, and special characters, and don’t reuse passwords across different accounts.
- Stay up to date on new threats and technologies: Cyber criminals are always finding new ways to exploit security vulnerabilities, which is why it’s important to stay up-to-date on updates. This includes updates for your operating system, applications, and security solutions.
- Back up your data: In the event of a cyber attack or data loss, you’ll need to have backups of your important data. Be sure to back up your data regularly, and store backups in a secure location.
By following these tips, you can help keep your small business safe from cyber crime. However, we encourage you to reach out to professionals for more information on how to properly defend your business. Cybersecurity is an ever-changing field, and it’s important to stay up to date on the latest threats and solutions.
Contact Syzygy 3 Today!
If you’re not sure where to start, our team of cybersecurity experts at Syzygy 3 can help you choose the right security solutions for your small business. Contact us today to learn more!